About Curran, Bayer & Associates
Curran, Bayer & Associates was founded in 2008 by Barlow Curran and Michael Bayer. They have over 60 years of combined federal Wage & Hour experience. Michael is continuing the tradition of offering knowledgable advice and assistance to Florida employers.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Michael retired from a 32 year career as a field compliance investigator/Specialist working for the US Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division, in February, 2008.
Working for the U.S. Department of Labor, Wage & Hour Division, Michael was stationed for 30 years in the West Palm Beach field office of the Wage & Hour Division. He administered all federal Wage & Hour statutes via labor law enforcement and technical assistance involving virtually all industries, including agriculture, retail, service, non-profit, governmental and manufacturing.
For two years (1996 – 1998), he was stationed on the island of Saipan, the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianna Islands (CNMI) in the Wage & Hour Field Office.
- Conducted thousands of investigations of businesses of all types, resulting in employers compliant with Wage & Hour laws and employees being compensated correctly and fairly.
- Significant percentage of work was administering the Wage & Hour statutes in all branches of the agricultural industry, including sugar cane, fruits and vegetables, citrus, reforestation, cotton, poultry, ranching, and custom combining.
- Participated in the agency’s efforts in coordinated enforcement and education efforts throughout the agricultural areas of South Florida.
- Member of the Wage & Hour Division, Southeast Region Agricultural Committee with responsibility for coordinating the compliance assistance and enforcement activities of the Wage & Hour Division throughout the six-state area.
- Involvement with the H-2A program in agriculture beginning in the late 1980s including being part of the team conducting the first H-2A compliance investigations for Wage & Hour.
- Conducted scores of compliance assistance presentations to many individual employers, industry associations and private employers, as well as taking part in governmental seminars.
- Administered Wage & Hour statutes through compliance investigations and technical assistance to all types of businesses located in the CNMI.
- Primary contacts involved the numerous employers of non-immigrant, foreign workers. (The CNMI had work-visa programs similar to the H-2A and H-2B programs found throughout the Southeast U.S.)
- Worked directly with government officials, both from the U.S. as well as other countries including China and the Philippines.
- Coordinated activities with other U.S. federal agencies in regards to application of federal statutes in the CNMI, including meeting with various elected officials interested in federal legislation effecting labor issues in the CNMI.
Areas of Expertise - Federal Wage & Hour Statutes:
- Fair Labor Standards Act (Federal minimum wage, overtime, and child labor laws)
- Migrant & Seasonal Agricultural Worker Protection Act
- H-2A, H-2B, & H-1B of the INA and IRCA (Foreign guest worker programs)
- OSHA Standards for Temporary Labor Camps
- OSHA Standards for field sanitation
- Employment Eligibility Verification
- Family Medical Leave Act
- Service Contract Act & Davis Bacon Act (Prevailing wage & fringe benefits for employees on US Government Contracts)
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act
- Consumer Credit Protection Act
University of Florida: BS degree in Journalism, Broadcasting emphasis – 1973.
Palm Beach Community College: Business and Accounting Courses (Non-Degree Seeking)
Michael is available to help businesses, non-profit organizations and all other employers achieve compliance with applicable labor standards. We are ready to assist all employers in limiting the costly liabilities that result from unknowing noncompliance.
References furnished upon request.
PO Box 1765
West Palm Beach, FL 33402